Meet Our Dolls

Meet Our Dolls
Click image to Meet Our Dolls! Contact us at: thesavagedollblog@gmail.com

Thursday, September 10, 2015

Another amazing thrift store find!


I have recently seen a Crissy Doll on another doll blog.  I had a Crissy when I was a girl.  I loved her long hair and very grownup face.  I thought she was SO beautiful.

WELL, you will never guess what I found at my local thrift store?
YES, you guessed TWO Crissy Dolls! They are both from 1972.

 As you can see they are looking a bit rough, but that
is an original Crissy dress on the left!!

 My doll had this curled under hair.

This doll has very straight hair around her face.

 One of the dolls had these spots where the green dress
got glued somehow to her skin.  I got most of it off, but not all.

 They have just had their baking soda bath.

 Green dress and panties soaking in mild soap and cold water.

Double hair wash using the wig shampoo and conditioner.

After carefully brushing out their hair I left them to dry
and ran up to my sewing room!

I looked through my existing patterns and found this one.

It is too slim for AG dolls and I thought it looked right.
I remember wearing these A-line dresses with peter pan collars when I was a little girl.
I was right it fits my new Crissy's perfectly!


TA DA!

 A summer sun dress.

I had these little shoes from another doll, so they have to share for now.

I plan on using the strange pink vinyl
dress to make some go-go boots.

 I added a little length onto this dress.
in future I will cut the pattern out longer.

Such a pretty smile.

Sophie wandered into my sewing room while I was
working on these two and said they should be called
"Lisa" and "Sarah".
Say hello Lisa and Sarah.

BEFORE and AFTER

PS -I will update when I have finished restoring
the green dress and make the go-go boots.


UPDATE!

 I made that pink dress into go-go boots!

Not too bad!









9 comments:

Julie Ann Newman said...

Hey! Just like my friend, Crissy! They looks so pretty now!

*From Julie's doll mom:*
on?
Hey Brenda, was it MY blog you saw Crissy on? *wink*

Brenda and Sophie said...

Thank you Julie, I think they look pretty too. Sigh, it makes me feel so happy to save dolls and make them pretty again.

Yes, Julie's doll mom, it was your blog!! Hehe I wondered if you would pick up on that. Ever since I saw your Crissy I thought I might look on ebay, but I was SO happy to find these 2 lovelies thrifting!

Flo said...

What a great find!!! They both turned out great, do their eyes work smoothly? I saw a Velvet doll at a thrift store near here, but they were asking premium prices and she was VERY rough, not worth what they wanted IMHO. So glad you found these.

Brenda and Sophie said...

Yes, both their eyes work fine. I know they look uneven in the photos, but I think that was just the angle I had them at. They still do the look around move when you pull their string too. All the hair mechanisms work. I wonder if someone found these in their attic in a box. They were in such amazingly good shape. I am pressing the green plaid dress today and will post photos!

Brenda and Sophie said...

Oh, and I know what you mean about some places overpricing these old dolls. I have passed up a few that I knew would just be too much work. I almost walked past these 2 on a top shelf jumbled in with a bunch of porcelain dolls, then I noticed some auburn hair! They were each $6, so I think that was a good deal.

Dawn said...

You did an amazing job on these two! Great find. You just never know what you're going to find at the thrift store. It's always such a fun treasure hunt.
- Dawn

Brenda and Sophie said...

Thank you Dawn, I had fun cleaning them up. But really they were in such good shape it was easy, but I am happy to accept praise! ; )

They were a great find. I love thrifting cause you never know what treasure is right around the corner!

Julie Ann Newman said...

*From Julie's doll mom:*

I have a Look-Around Crissy as well, but the knot came loose from the butterfly, and the string retracted all the way in her body! YIKES! I wish I knew someone who could fix her. And re-root my black Crissy (aka Sabrina). She always has to wear hats b/c her former doll mom cut almost all of her base hair and half of her ponytail!

Brenda and Sophie said...

Aw that is so frustrating! I wonder how/if you can get that string fixed? I am sad to hear your black Crissy got a haircut! I know you love them just the same though. : )