Meet Our Dolls

Meet Our Dolls
Click image to Meet Our Dolls! Contact us at: thesavagedollblog@gmail.com

Saturday, September 08, 2012

Doll Clothes we made (or remade : )

I have made lots of clothes since we first got Grace that first Christmas.  I thought I would share some of them with you.  I like to reuse clothes that my kids have outgrown or holes in the knees.  I also hang on to things that are in great shape, but just have a stain that I can't get out.

This was a super easy dress made from knee socks.  I cut off the foot of the sock and cut 2 arm holes.  The fabric naturally curls up to make a turtle neck.  An easy variation and it could be a turtle neck sweater.   Sock Dress Tutorial

The denim skirt is made from jean cutoff.  I just added elastic to the top.  The leggings were made from my daughter's tights that she outgrew.


This tee is one of many things I made from outgrown clothes.  I keep tees and jeans that are too small for my kids and it is a great store of fabric for doll clothes and other projects.

This Saree is made from purchase fabric.  I love ethnic clothes and wanted to try this out.

Punjabi dresses.  My daughter's best friend's family is from India and I made these for her doll.

...and one more.

This is an Easter dress made from a $1.00 tea towel I found at Target.  

This maxidress was made from a repurposed tee of my daughter's.  
This is one of her favorite doll dresses.

These two dresses were made from one blouse found at Goodwill.  It made very pretty dresses that remind me of the 70s era.  

This was made from a scrap of fabric I found at Wal-mart.  
I also made the little jacket out of a re-purposed tee.

 This poncho and hat is a little crochet project I put together.  I think it came out pretty cute.

Here is the stripe tee again with some skinny jeans I made from cut offs. 

This is one of my favorite projects.  My daughter wanted to have a matching outfit for our visit at the American Girl Doll Store in LA.  I copied a tee we bought at Target in a smaller scale.  I sewed the doll tee out of a repurposed tee and painted a matching pattern.  The dolls bicycle pants were made from the sleeve of the tee.    

Here is a picture of them together.

Not clothes really, but I thought I would stick this in here.  I used leather scraps from the craft store and cut 4 small slits (2 on either side of toes, 2 on either side of ankles) with a craft blade.  Using a large needle I threaded lace or ribbon through the slits.  Thread across the toes under the sole and then up through the slits at the ankle.  The sandals on the right were definitely more successful in my opinion.





21 comments:

Barbara said...

Did you use a pattern for any of these?

Brenda and Sophie said...

Yes, the Punjabi dresses I used a doll pattern for pajamas. I lengthened the top a little, but that was the only change I made. The pants are straight off the pajama pattern. I will try to find the name of the pattern.

Amy said...

Very cute!

Unknown said...

I like you creative style, I do a lot of upcycling with my clothing and things I find a thrift stores. I love your site! Nice Job!

Brenda and Sophie said...

Thank you Laura, I enjoy making things!

peacemaker said...

My three girls are just becoming interested in the American Girl dolls. I stumbled on your blog tonight while looking for less expensive dollhouse ideas. Tonight is nursery night, so all 5 children get to sleep in Mommy and Daddy's bedroom. I just realized I've been looking at your blog for about an hour. It is so fun and engaging! Thank you for sharing your talents!
0:)

peacemaker said...

My three girls are just becoming interested in the American Girl dolls. I stumbled on your blog tonight while looking for less expensive dollhouse ideas. Tonight is nursery night, so all 5 children get to sleep in Mommy and Daddy's bedroom. I just realized I've been looking at your blog for about an hour. It is so fun and engaging! Thank you for sharing your talents!
0:)

Brenda and Sophie said...

Thank you SO much peacemaker! I enjoy making things and I have always liked miniatures and anything small scale. I am glad you have enjoyed our blog!

Baby Jane said...

Couldn't craft foam be used for the base of the shoe? It's pretty easy to cut and I don't think the slits would tear. What do you think? Thanks...these are really cute.

Brenda and Sophie said...

Yes, I think craft foam would definitely work for the shoes!

lorilee said...

All I can say is AMAZING!

Brenda and Sophie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Brenda and Sophie said...

Thank you so much Lorilee! I enjoy making things for the dolls and I love to hear others enjoy it too.

Carolyn said...

So happy to find this. My granddaughters got American Girl dolls for Christmas and I've made a few outfits from a pattern, but these are adorable and very inspiring. Can't wait to try some of your ideas!

Brenda Cackowski said...

Love your ingenuity, and creative thoughts. Just started with these kind of clothes myself, but Love these!

Brenda and Sophie said...

Carolyn & Brenda thank you for your comments. I love making clothes for our dolls. Doll clothes are so fast to make and so gratifying! I hope you enjoy the patterns on the blog

Anonymous said...

Hi i am trying to make something for my sister for her doll for Christmas i wonder if you could tell me a few easy things to make thankx

Brenda and Sophie said...

If you do a search on Pinterest for "DIY American Girl" you will find tons of ideas. Good luck and happy crafting!

Brenda Savage said...

I don't do videos, but the sock dresses are really easy. I will try to do a photo step by step, so check back soon.

Brenda Savage said...

HI Anonymous, I accidentally deleted your question! I am putting together a photo step by step for the sock dress.

Abigale Huels said...

I stumbled upon your blog while browsing for crafting inspiration, and I have to say, I'm so impressed by your creativity and talent. Your post about the doll clothes you made or remade is fantastic, and it's amazing to see how you've transformed simple fabrics into such beautiful garments.

As I was reading about your crafting projects, I couldn't help but think about Hello Molly Return. They have a great system in place that encourages customers to return gently used items so they can be repurposed or recycled. This kind of commitment to sustainability is so important in the fashion industry, and it's great to see a brand taking action.

Thank you for sharing your crafting skills and fashion sense with us through your blog. Your posts are always inspiring and informative, and I can't wait to try out some of your tutorials myself!